Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cooked Playdough vs Noncooked playdough



Hey All,


I was recently asked if I prefer cooked or non cooked play dough. I personally didn't notice any difference in consistency, and I can tell you honestly that I've only cooked play dough once. I am willing to give cooking it another go, but have to admit that if I was at home making play dough with one or two kids, it would be different than in a class. There are 11 children in my class this year, one of the smallest classes I've had in years. 11 two year olds. Its easy to let them stir and mix and pour and actually have a hands on part in mixing the non cook recipe. The time I used cooked dough I was cooking with 3 and 4 year olds. I could work with one at a time to mix over low heat, while my co teacher oversaw the rest of the children.





Here's the recipe we used:





Ingredients:


1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Food coloring by drops (we used red)








Directions:


1. Combine all ingredients in a pan and stir.  Cook over low heat, stirring until a ball forms.


2. Add food coloring and mix thoroughly until desired color.


3. Cool on wax paper. Store in covered container.








While the dough's consistency was awesome, it was a bit difficult to wait for it to be cooled. When using a no cook recipe, you can touch it much sooner.








Click here to see the no cook recipe I use.











 


Have fun!
xoxo,
GG

No comments:

Post a Comment