Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Music Wall



My husband, Adam, and I got married last April. In fact, it was April 12; five months ago yesterday. When we got married, we registered. Ridiculously, we registered for pots and pans. We had SO many, why did we register for new ones? These are the things you see in retrospect, but at the time, the idea of all new matching pots and pans was very exciting- and thank goodness we did!

music 2.JPG
 

 

 

 

 






We purged through our kitchen and got rid of items we didn't need anymore. Mainly, we donated the items. I'm a loyal Pinterest user and one day I saw a music wall. The picture I saw had PVC pipes, some pots and pans and even a washboard! I had the idea to make a music wall of my own (well, for my school). I approached my awesome and completely supportive director with the idea. I told her that I wish I had access to an awesome piece of wood. She had just moved into a new house where all of the doors were replaced and had extra doors. After a few months of coordinating and planning, we finally picked up the door. Then, one day after school, Adam and I got to work.

photo 2.JPG
 

 

 











 I'm a lucky girl and have a very handy husband. He loves to build, tinker, and create. He also is a firm believer in teaching me to fish, and rather than doing things for me, he likes to teach me how. We worked together with his drill and electric screwdriver and created this awesome music wall. We got hooks from  the local hardware store rather than a major chain. They also gave me about 30 miscut keys. I put them on keyrings and put them in my dramatic play area. Be sure to make friends with your local hardware store and let them know you're a teacher in their community. They're usually generous.


Here's a few photos of how the wall was created, in addition to Adam and I testing it out.
music8.JPGmusic6.JPGmusic4.JPG




















music7.JPG
music9.JPG


 

 

 













The music wall is in our music area behind our marimba. We purchased a few utensils at the .99 cent only store. We got some whisks, icing knives and black spatulas. What have you created where you work?


Happy reading! (I know this isn't goop related, but man, is it fun!)


music10.JPGxoxo,


GG


 

3 comments:

  1. Love it and I bet the kids do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I want to make one, too! Can we borrow your husband and/or his tools? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. laura, you can borrow us and our tools AND we have doors if you need one to build on! xo

    ReplyDelete